Thursday, September 1, 2011

Finding Home

I transferred to BYU and changed my major. I always knew that I wanted to be in the education field, but I was struggling to find a major that really called my name. First, I studied Spanish Education at BYU-Idaho. I thought that Spanish would be a smart move, having just returned from a Spanish speaking mission. I attended three straight semesters in Rexburg before deciding to take a break from school and work full time.

I worked as a field guide for a Wilderness Therapy Program for troubled teens. We'd wander around the desert with a few rations of food storage, trying to address everyone's debilitating behaviors. I probably learned more about myself than I did anyone else.

Coming back to school I knew that I no longer wanted to pursue Spanish. I declared PE when I transferred to BYU and took a few Summer classes. Two weeks before Fall classes were scheduled to begin, my wife directed me to the School of Technology website. I loved what I saw and instantly started aligning my 'just-for-fun-on-the-side-projects' with my academic goals. I set an appointment with Sister Harmon in advising and scrambled to piece a Fall schedule together, resulting in having to quit my current full-time job.

Electronics, robotics, video editing, wood working. :) Awesome.

Everything seems to be falling into place. I'm actually excited for all of my classes. For now, I'll describe the feeling as simply coming home.

No comments:

Post a Comment