Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Week 2 Reflection - Teach Something, Consistency

'Teach Something' was an assignment where we chose something that we were an expert at or knew about and taught it to the class. I wanted to present something exciting and practical that would (hopefully) be different from everyone else. After shifting through a few ideas Wilderness Rice seemed to be the answer.
I presented rice as a cheap alternative to expensive Emergency Essentials food storage packages. Rice is healthy, abundant, lasts forever, and is very affordable. A 50lb bag of rice can easily sustain a single person for six months!
Power Points make every presentation easier, so I put together a few pictures of my wilderness experience to give some background. Then I pulled up a custom spread sheet that calculated how-much-of-what and the total cost. Turns out you can save yourself literally hundreds of dollars.
I felt like the presentation went well. The information was simple to follow and very useful. I know that I have an active and aggressive teaching style. I often feel that I'm attacking the information and burning through it as fast as possible. Some of that is from nerves, usually a few minutes into a presentation my pace will slow down. Another reason is that I feel like I need to capture my audience and entertain them. Golden information is rarely the only reason that someone is paying attention to you.
Overall presentation - I give myself a 4.5 out of 5.

Teach Something, round two. This time we had to choose our topics from a list of Technological Standards found in our online textbook. I chose Standard 7 because it involved the use of energy and power technologies, which highly interest me. I wanted to involve this hydrogen cell that I've been learning about at home and show everyone that it's totally possible to make your own hydrogen energy that could one day fuel the world! But I failed miserably and gave a terrible presentation.
First off, I had three different angles that I came in at which confused people and killed my flow. I started the presentation by saying that I was going to talk about HHO Energy and showed off my fuel cell. I then went to a PowerPoint presentation to show a few quotes from the book. In the presentation I had a short video of a fuel cell in operation, which was more of a commercial than instructional. Then finally I ended the presentation with a picture of the lighted earth. It was really bad. After I had talked myself silent in front of the class, I finally said that I was done and sat down.
What I should have done was first talk about hydrogen as the fuel of the future and a few of it's uses, then reveal my cell and show that anyone can make one basically for free.
Maybe next time.
3 out of 5.


Harry and Rosemary Wong offered a thought about consistency:

Just Think...
  • Just think how much easier life would be if the teachers supported each other with routines that were consistent from classroom to classroom.
  • Just think what the achievement of these students would be if this were the prevailing culture of the school.
  • Just think how effective the schools would be if this were the prevailing culture of the entire district.
I think that the spread of the gospel and general church growth can be partly attributed to global consistency. Manuals, conferences, ladders of leadership, etc all make it possible for our world-wide church to be on the same page and make learning eternal truths that much easier.
A school district programed with a similar core structure would have enormous benefits. Granted that every individual has their own style, consistency could be established through core expectations and program structure.
A potential barrier (especially in a public setting) could be individuals who wouldn't conform, either because they simply don't want to or believe that their way is better. Group collaboration should be the answer, establishing the best standard, followed by consistency.

No comments:

Post a Comment