Wednesday, October 19, 2011

STL 5 - 20 min lesson

I thought Charades went really well! The class got into it and seemed like they were having a good time. They had a chance to get out of their seats and participate in something not so ordinary. Charades brought a lot of positive feedback.

Though I did work on the speed of my speech, I blew past a lot of good discussion. Todd made me nervous with an answer that I wasn't expecting. From there I was just trying to get through the material and done with the lesson. I should have asked someone else the same question and brought up a little more class discussion. Todd's answer was simply, "Yeah..." I could have fired a follow up question asking him why he thought, 'yeah..." And then I can ask others what they think and why!

Another good comment that I want to address was the fact that once my charades activity was done, I didn't return to it for class discussion. It would have been great to use the Dam and Corn Field as a framework for discussion on environmental impact from technology.


PE Teachers...

Just because you're a succesful coach does not mean that you'll be a successful PE teacher. I took a exercise Wellness class at BYU-I from a man so large that he couldn't hardly jog a lap, let alone the 6 minute miles that he required of us. Most of his lectures were side tracked with stories of his glory days and his personal philosophies - regardless of what the book said. Now here's the kicker. The tests were written according to the book, contrary to most class instruction.

I'm experiencing a similar thing right now in a coaching class that I'm taking from BYU's Track and Field head coach. Though Mark doesn't lecture wellness blasphamies, his mid-term wasn't very consistent with his lectures. Instead of asking us to describe a phase or technique within in an event like he did each lecture, he hands out a 50 question bubble sheet test that asks very specific questions that Mark mentioned in passing. And, without a textbook to refer back to and so much variation in the articles we're collecting from the internet, consistency is impossible.

Tomorrow we'll get our scores back. The nice thing is that Mark bailed the whole class out by saying that we could argue for our answers. And that questions largely missed would be thrown out. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment