Thursday, October 20, 2011

Edutainment... is good?

Something that I've been thinking about a lot lately is the balance between Content and Entertainment. I read a KSL job add that was asking for an 'Edutainer' to give English lectures at a boarding school. It surprised me because they came out and called it as it was. They were looking for someone to entertain, and maybe slip a little bit of content in. For some reason in my mind the term "edutainer' had a negative vibe to it, something that American education has digressed into. Now! I may be changing my opinion of it's place in modern education and instruction.

Reason 1. Entertaining an audience with the motive to teach them something could be translated into capturing the audience. If no one is listening or even cares than what's the point of going through the rest of the lesson or lecture? Gong says that a teacher's success is measured by the efforts of their students. If your students aren't into what your teaching than you're toast...

Reason 2. If I'm entertained, I'm motivated. In today's lesson with Carissa's candy sculptures and Rashel's bumper chairs I had an enormous amount of positive energy towards learning! Each lesson left me wanting more! I wanted to design what my flower bed in real life could look like and then develop a new energy to run my house.

Reason 3. Pedagogy is the art of teaching. Teaching often isn't as simple as 'One plus One equals two.' Each teacher is on a journey to becoming a better teacher, and refining their presentation skills along the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment